Yes, Gandhinagar is a planned city located in the state of Gujarat in western India. It was planned and built in the 1960s to serve as the new capital city of the state, replacing the former capital of Ahmedabad.
The planning of Gandhinagar was undertaken by a team of architects and urban planners, led by H.K. Mewada and Prakash M. Apte, who was inspired by the principles of modernist urban planning.
The city was designed to be a showcase of contemporary Indian architecture and urban design, and it is known for its wide, tree-lined streets, landscaped parks, and modernist government buildings.
The city’s layout is based on a grid system, with sectors designated for different functions such as residential, commercial, and institutional areas. The city’s central area, known as the Capitol Complex, is a collection of government buildings designed by the renowned architect Charles Correa.
Overall, the planning and development of Gandhinagar is considered a significant achievement in Indian urban planning and has been recognized as a model for other planned cities in the country.
Want Some Additional Information About Gandhi Nagar?
- Gandhinagar was named after the father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi, and it was inaugurated on May 2, 1970, by the then-Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi.
- The city covers an area of approximately 177 square kilometers and is divided into 30 sectors. Each sector is further divided into sub-sectors, blocks, and plots.
- The city’s design was influenced by the principles of modernist urban planning, which emphasized functional zoning, grid-based street layouts, and the separation of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Gandhinagar is home to several important institutions, including the Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar, the National Institute of Fashion Technology, and the Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University.
- The city is also home to several notable landmarks, including the Akshardham Temple, which is a major pilgrimage site for Hindus, and the Mahatma Mandir, which is a convention center and memorial to Mahatma Gandhi.
- Gandhinagar has a well-developed infrastructure, with wide roads, ample green spaces, and a network of public transport that includes buses, auto-rickshaws, and cycle rickshaws.
Overall, Gandhinagar is a city that was designed and planned with a great deal of care and attention to detail, and it has become a symbol of modernist urban planning in India
Final Conclusion on Is Gandhi Nagar Planned City?
We really hope that you all have liked this article really very much. Kindly, please share the same with your friends and family too.